Don’t Neglect Your Hot Garden Now
September 29, 2016
Has your garden been feeling a bit neglected? It has been a hot and humid Arizona summer and in many areas, monsoons have brought major rains. If you haven’t spent extra time tending to your garden, you’re not alone. As the fall temperatures begin to drop, now is a great chance to spend some time preparing your garden for the glorious growing season and for upcoming entertainment and festivities!
Set out to accomplish these few manageable jobs and you will prepare your garden to become a beautiful fall showcase as the nights begin to cool off.
Pre-Fall Tasks to Complete for a Gorgeous Garden
- Water pots deeply if not getting ample rainfall.
- Use a water soluble fertilizer every two weeks.
- Pull all dead plants.
- Cut back overgrown plants to new growth.
- Check your geraniums to see if there is new growth. If so, cut back any dead wood to that point. Don’t overwater them but give a loud cheer!
- Plan on planting some late season annuals when there is consistent afternoon cloud cover or nights get into the 70’s AND when the nurseries have suitable flowers.