How GREEN Can You Be This Holiday?
November 26, 2014
1) LIGHTING: Think LED! These dandy lights use 90% less energy than conventional holiday lights, decreasing costs, and last a long time.
2) GIFTS: Consider online shopping over time/gas of driving to stores. Selection is often better, sales abound, and overall impact of freight is reduced since items often come right from warehouse/factory.
…OR EVEN BETTER Consider gifts that aren’t PHYSICAL: purchasing a service; tickets to favorite activity; donations to favorite charities; handmade or consumable gifts like food…can you make a gift out of items you already own…or best of all, sharing time together with a special event.
3) If you do have gifts to wrap…Be creative! Most mass produced gift wrap is not recyclable. Wrap presents in old maps, colorful comics or holiday ads, children’s artwork, scarves, dish towels, bandanas or some other useful cloth item.
4) If you get a live tree, how about one you replant and look for pesticide free trees (some growers use 40+ pesticides + chemical colorants). RECYCLE your tree so it doesn’t join the 10,000,000 trees ending up in a landfill yearly! Visit www.earth911.org for recycling info.
5) Buy local, from organic or sustainable farms. Heritage meat is typically antibiotic and hormone free…and more flavorful. Or perhaps this is the year to explore a meat free holiday meal.
6) Choose Recyclable/Recycled or E-Cards this holiday: Select cards without foil/ribbon or cards created using post-consumer recycled content; or give trees a break by using E-cards now offered on many great websites.
7) JUNK MAIL: Flooded with catalogs? Call the 800 number on the back of the catalogs to be taken off the mailing list, or check out www.ecocycle.org/junkmail.
Consider a GOOGLE search for MORE Green Holiday Ideas!